Types of hosting services
A hosting solution includes depositing and/or sharing specific web content on a web hosting server run by a website hosting company. There are various types of hosting services utilized for various purposes, so let's take a glimpse at these. In this way, you can elect what you want, depending on whether you desire to set up a site, email aliases, or to share files with pals and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by certain providers, which allows you to share large files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole goal is to share files, since it does not offer web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a table of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free file hosting accounts frequently involve advertisements beside the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a certain amount of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file storage plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting providers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly erroneous interpretation of the literal connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would assign the workload between different sets of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending various website hosting services (email, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a type of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; specific suppliers provide a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting type is good if you want to share an enormous number of pics with mates or colleagues since the service is generally free. You will obtain a random link for each picture or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution dedicated to managing your email address accounts. Some providers provide web page hosting solutions for web pages, but do not offer an e-mail hosting solution. If you want to get a mail address with your domain name but do not desire to keep a website, then the email hosting service is what you want. You can open email mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a specific video file, or you can embed the video file in your site that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this method in lieu of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video clip produces a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of video clips and a few hundred visitors, you may have a hard time with your hosting resources. Embedding the video file will allow you to administer as many video clips as you would like without worrying about system supplies.
- Web hosting: this is the service that you need if you desire to run a site. To some degree, it encompasses all of the aforementioned hosting variants since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and e-mailbox accounts, upload video files, and so on. At WebbSitesCo, for example, you can take a glance at web hosting and dedicated server hosting plans that allow you to get all of the abovementioned services in one single location. There may be restrictions based on the type of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your website hosting account may be better or worse compared with the usual e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are created for particular content exclusively.